"Im not sure what I'll do, but well, I want to go places and see people. I want my mind to grow. I want to live where things happen on a big scale." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Bump In The Road




Faith:
Noun
  1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.



One of the most amazing things about Heavenly Father is that he knows exactly what we need, when we need it. I was fortunate enough to attend a friend from high schools farewell today. His talk was on faith and he used a rather funny but true analogy of faith. He compared faith to his friends muscles. In order for him to maintain his muscles he has to continue to build them. Faith is the same way. 
The last few weeks have been rather discouraging for me. I've had so many people ask me about my mission plans. Right now, I don't have an answer. Im not sure when everything will happen.
I'm one of those that wants to know everything. I want to know when I can start my papers, where I'm going to be called. I want to know it all. Right now. Why wouldn't I? 
The problem with that is I don't know anything at this point. I have no idea, and it's one of those things I can't really figure out on my own. I just need to wait and see. 
Throughout this entire process I've hit many bumps in the road. Heard good news, and bad news. Lost confidence in my ability, questioned just about everything in the book you could possibly think of. In the middle of all that it was hard for me to have faith that it would all work out. 
In January, I spoke with my bishop from my singles ward in Logan. I didn't get the news I wanted to hear. If I could try to describe the feeling I felt I couldn't. I've hurt before, but that feeling was different. It stung. That bishop told me: "I don't mean to break your heart, but it is what it is." I never told him how bad my heart hurt. He just saw it in my eyes as I sat there speechless with the tears running down my cheeks. I got back to my room and could hardly breathe as I kneeled down by my bed.
 Within 20 minutes I got a phone call from the most unexpected person. I answered with a shaky voice, and he simply replied with what's wrong. In that moment I knew that he was the one person I needed to talk to. He was a week shy of leaving for his mission, and he himself had come along way to get there. He gave me the best advice that I will never forget. He said if this is something that you were born to do, and you know in your heart is right, then Heavenly Father will make it possible for you. He went on to share with me his experiences and what he had to overcome to get where he was.
I am so grateful for that night. It's moments like those that have given me faith. 
But it was today I realized that we don't need those amazing experiences every time we hit a bump in the road. We just have to have faith that things will all work out exactly as they should. When they should. 

No comments:

Post a Comment